Sunday, April 11, 2010

haLf man haLf eLf at Mona Lisa on March 23


April 11, 2010

Howard Mandshein of CitiFM, the performers coordinator at Mona Lisa booked us a gig once again. We usually played a set without full drumkit, but this time we decided to go complete, so that the regulars there would finally hear what we really sound like. It was a good show. Two ladies at the back stood up and danced as if it was the '80s again, when we did our rendition of "I Melt with You" by Modern English. They also expressed their appreciation for our originals particularly "For Her Brilliance." Here's our setlist for the night:


"Somebody" - Depeche Mode

"Butterflies (die in silence)" - original

"I Melt with You" - Modern English

"Unfated Life" - original

"Fireflies (flicker in the night)" - original

"For Her Brilliance" - original


"High School (Life)" - although this is a cover, I regard this as an original since that my former band Half Life Half Death was the first one to deconstruct this song--like The Clash's owning "I Fought the Law."


Thanks also to my cousin Jocelyn Mella-Harder and her husband Wayne for attending and enjoying the gig. Chatting with Wayne, I learned from him that he used to be an avid concertgoer back in the '80s. He saw The Cure in '87 when the band went to Winnipeg.


Next gig of haLf man haLf eLf, April 27, at Riverview Health Centre, the center where I work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment